Amiga-Development

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Created for developers of all Amiga camps

Author Topic: Syntax highlighting for Cubic IDE?  (Read 133 times)

asrael22

• View Profile
Syntax highlighting for Cubic IDE?
« on: August 07, 2017, 08:33:38 AM »

Hi.

Which editor do you guys use?
Is there a syntax plugin for Cubic IDE?

Manfred

magorium

• Programming is an art form that fights back
    • View Profile
Re: Syntax highlighting for Cubic IDE?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 08:45:53 AM »

Funny  :)

In the other thread where you mentioned cubic, i was about to ask that exact same question about highlighting to you  ;D

If i'm editing native i either use ALB42' EdiSyn (written in Free Pascal/Lazarus :) ) or use fp-ide (free Pascals own native 'dosmode' ide aka borland pascal alike editor). Another good alternative is annotate (i have created a syntax file for that, available on the wiki if not mistaken). edit: found it, it can be found here

I would need to take a closer look at cubic to determine if it is able to highlight other programming languages (in an easy way).

PS: i was about to paste a direct link to ALB42's edisyn blogpost blog (blog.alb42.de) but for some reason i get an error, "Secure connection: fatal error (300)" (might be just me).

edit: or... actually it is ALB42's website that doesn't play nice with my browser  :P

Link to edisyn can be found here.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 08:56:32 AM by magorium »

Chain-Q

• Stealth Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 11:45:23 AM »

I mainly use mcedit and a cross compiler on macOS or Linux... On Amiga I use either ced + command like compiler (syntax highlight is overrated! :D) or occasionally the textmode FP IDE.

Is there a syntax plugin for Cubic IDE?

I only know about an older one made for GoldEd/MorphEd, and surely works with MorphOS at least. No clue if it also works under classic.
It's here: http://obligement.free.fr/files/ged5morphed_pas075.lha

asrael22

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 03:48:43 PM »

... (syntax highlight is overrated! :D) ....
For sure it is.
But I'm used to it from the Java/Scala/Swift/Objective-C world I'm usually operating in.
Still, I think it helps to keep overview of the source code.

IU've tried annotate but couldn't really get used to it.
Maybe I'll have another look.

Manfred

magorium

• Programming is an art form that fights back
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 04:52:14 PM »

@asrael22:
Small advise: just use/choose whatever you are most comfortable with. Not what someone else advises (although i did advise annotate in case you perhaps weren't familiar with this editor at all).

For me personally, i spend a lot of time inside the editor, and it should works as i expect it to work. e.g. not the editor telling me what i should do and/or how to do it.

Downside of that is that i also waste a fair amount of time trying other editors and learning all the inns and outs, pro's and con's. There simply aren't many (very) good editors around, and even less so for Amiga platform.

If you prefer vim then use that, if you prefer cubic, then use that. Just try to bend the editor rules your way  ;)

i had a quik glance at cubic, and i am a bit baffled by the configuration. e.g. as far as i was able to see there was not much english documentation available on the used configuration files (but perhaps everything is configured using the gui). For example, i have no idea where the syntax parser for a particular programming language is originating from...