Amiga-Development

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Created for developers of all Amiga camps

Author Topic: Simple suggestion to make this site more popular  (Read 2824 times)

ChrisH

• View Profile
Simple suggestion to make this site more popular
« on: August 01, 2015, 06:27:18 PM »

This forum is split into a huge number of sub-forums, so it's difficult to notice what's currently being discussed, and thus it may seem less active than it actually is, leading people to go somewhere else.  A solution to this has already been implemented... but currently it's so hidden that I didn't even notice it, until I was going to complain about it being missing!

Of course I am talking about the "Recent Posts" section.  At the moment it's hidden so far down the (rather long) homepage that almost no-one's going to find it... if I'm anything go by anyway:  I come to this site, start scrolling down looking for something interesting/relevant, but after a few pages quickly decide it looks like too much hassle to find a forum with anything recent posted in it, and so go to another site instead.  And that's because I have to scroll 5 pages down before I'll actually see "Recent Posts".

What I'm suggesting is that the "Recent Posts" section is moved to the very top of the home page, so that everyone sees it as soon as they come to the site.  I hope the above explains why I think this would be a good idea.  But if you need any further arguments:  That's how most other popular forums do it, including a certain OS4-specific coding site.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 06:30:27 PM by ChrisH »

SamuraiCrow

• Administrator
  • Coolness is compiled
    • View Profile
Re: Simple suggestion to make this site more popular
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 12:02:10 AM »

I agree that this site needs the recent posts moved to the top but as a workaround, use RSS in your favorite feed reader.  The link is at the far bottom below the copyright notice for SMF.

ChrisH

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 12:04:45 AM »

@SamuraiCrow
That doesn't solve the problem of people not knowing/noticing that the "Recent Posts" section is at the bottom of the main page :(

magorium

• Programming is an art form that fights back
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 08:58:30 AM »

Hi ChrisH,

Yes, i would have to agree that having a more prominent place for the recent posts (or topics in which was posted) would be more common and perhaps help with its popularity (although i don't like changes very much).

For a solution to the sub-forums, have a look at f.i. this French site here which houses much more platforms and programming languages. They use a 'front-page' that display the newest posts, e.g. forum display is not on the first page. The complete layout as used there might be a 'bit' overkill for here, but it does give some idea's about common problems encountered and how they could be solved/approached.

What i really miss is more integration with modern media solutions available. One of the things i f.i. like about OS4 coding is that it kinda integrates/combines forums with blogging with wiki etc.

From a developers point of view: i don't have time to find all kind of solutions for the things i probably would like to express, but don't want spend time finding them, register to them, figure out how they work etc. before i can even begin to f.e. add an item to a wiki or make a blogpost.

One integrated place to rule them all, in which the topics are entwined so that the reader don't have to struggle through all the posted spaghetti to be able to find what he/she really needs.

But such things require a fair amount of investment, software-, coding-, and time-wise that such integrated solution starts beginning to look like a real utopia...

Maybe start with something like you suggested ? :-D

tolkien

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 10:42:09 AM »

All Amiga Websites I visit have the recent topics at top. I know this site and always go down but for new members perhaps is a bit hide.

Veda

• Sleep is overrated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 02:50:15 PM »

tolkien for members we have the unread post but for none/ members this is not available.

Daedalus

• View Profile
    • RobTheNerd.com
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 12:36:46 PM »

Yep, recent posts at the top would be nicer since there is such a long list of forums to scroll past to get to them. Also, just one entry for each thread would be neater, so you don't have 20 entries for a single conversation. Having said that, EAB doesn't have a list of most recent posts on the main page and seems to get along just fine.

Another thing that might be nice is a slightly customised skin and layout. The default skin isn't particularly nice, and doesn't really make it easy to tell what's covered and which different sections are available. I think also that non-forum parts could be added, for example, a section with links to the various documentation archives scattered across the internet so that it's easy to find and reference online autodocs, lists of downloadable compilers and SDKs and so on. Sort of more portal-like and less pure forum.

Other than that, it really needs a critical mass of people using the site or people will forget about it, so more publicity on other forums and web sites might be good.

magorium

• Programming is an art form that fights back
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 10:27:09 PM »

... Also, just one entry for each thread would be neater, so you don't have 20 entries for a single conversation. ....
^^ i like that idea as i use that view regularly on aros-exec.

Some boards use a dual solution where the topics in which was posted is in the middle and the individual posts are at the right side of that same list (or the other way around). But in which case it's making the forums view a lot smaller, also at the bottom of that list.

Actually i think which ones to put at top depends a little on how busy the forums are. If there isn't a lot of action it would look more busy if there would be an entry for each individual post. If things become too busy, then show the topics that where posted in at the top.

I personally prefer to have the topics in which where posted at the top, but that's just me :-)

As an alternative, one could choose to remove this list from the front page at all, as aros-exec does and provide a link/button/dropdownbox in which the 'view' can be selected so you could switch easily.

Does admin himself has any thoughts on these kind of things and knows if he would be willing to spend time on such things ?