Amiga-Development

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Created for developers of all Amiga camps

Author Topic: Software licensing  (Read 2674 times)

Veda

• Sleep is overrated
    • View Profile
Software licensing
« on: April 10, 2014, 04:57:35 PM »

There are so many licenses, and each is unique and for a specific goal.

I've read a lot of them in the last few months and I've come to the conclusion that it's not my strong point.

I'm looking for a license which allows free distribution colaberation and Which isn't Viral and doesn't remove copyright to each respective contribution.

Which license should be taken by this criteria?

If there are any further questions about the criteria please let them be heard.

SamuraiCrow

• Administrator
  • Coolness is compiled
    • View Profile
Re: Software licensing
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 03:38:27 PM »

BSD and ZLib are some of my favorite licenses.  The only part you didn't mention in your requirements was attribution of credit where credit is due.  That's the ultimate goal of these two with little else required.

Megol

• View Profile
Re: Software licensing
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 06:41:57 PM »

BSD should be a good fit. Essentially it says that one can do everything one wants with the source, that one must keep the original licence text (the BSD one) intact and includes some legal disclaimers for the functionality of the product. The first variant of the license also required one to advertise that one use the specific code whenever one advertises the product based on it. For some cases that variant may be better.
As one doesn't transfer the copyright by releasing something under the BSD license the author keeps the copyright but can't of course undo the BSD release.