Amiga-Development

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Created for developers of all Amiga camps

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How do u feel about C#?  (Read 8002 times)

itix

• View Profile
Re: How do u feel about C#?
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2013, 09:15:29 AM »

There are no macros in C# and it is sometimes making my life difficult with C#. I can use generics but they dont work with arrays. And personally I find generics more ackward to use.
Is there anything that stops ppl from using a 3rd party public domain preprocessor?

Does that mess up the debugger?  or ?

In theory you could run 3rd party preprocessor before compiling your projects. But it is messy and you lose fantastic syntax highlighting features of Visual Studio C#. It is actually the best editor I have even seen.

But the best thing in C# is its online support. If you are having questions like "is using method X faster than method Y" you will find answers and not just answer but someone also benchmarked those methods for you. You can write any C# related questions to google and it finds an answer.
So why isn't there a gcc# ?
That way we could have C# on our Amigas?

There is Mono. gcc# cant be done because C# programs require a run time environment. C# compilers dont produce machine language code but code in intermediate language that is translated at run time. The software written in Visual Studio could in theory run on your Amiga, too. But you need a translator and run time environment because C# code requires automatic garbage collector that is running on a background.

Veda

• Sleep is overrated
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2013, 09:47:23 AM »

Itix the best editor with syntax highlighting i've seen is Notepad++

EDanaII

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2013, 09:20:08 PM »

Hi Andy, how did u know this was directed to you?  ;D

Just wondering what your thoughts were on the C# language?

And why is there an Objective C translator to compile Objective C code on a normal Amiga C compiler but no such thing for C#?

I'm coming a little late to this thread, but... :)

Personally, like others, I've never liked the C syntax, but after C# I've come to appreciate it.

That said, there is this: http://www.tangiblesoftwaresolutions.com/Product_Details/CSharp_to_CPlusPlus_Converter_Details.html

I've used the free version to convert C# classes to C++ classes. Honestly, I prefer doing this than writing the C++ classes directly. It's much MUCH easier. :)

Also, for giggles, I just found this: http://www.bobtacoindustries.com/Content/Devs/CsToCpp-ASomewhatShortGuide.pdf

It's a guide to help for those who know C# learn C++ but I think it works the other way round too.

Anywho, hope someone finds it useful.

Ed.

Team Chaos Leader

• Administrator
  • JC + Asm Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2013, 01:01:16 AM »

Interesting links!

p.s. If you post within 3 years of last past you are not late.  This is Amiga :)

Veda

• Sleep is overrated
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2013, 02:03:04 AM »

Interesting links!

p.s. If you post within 3 years of last past you are not late.  This is Amiga :)
well TCL it would make a attempted post moot if the thread was closed in the mean while...
Pages: 1 [2]